Sunday, August 10, 2014

Say What You Will Review

Say What You Will by Cammi McGovern
Genres: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Pages: 352

Summary (From Goodreads)
John Green's The Fault in Our Stars meets Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park in this beautifully written, incredibly honest, and emotionally poignant novel. Cammie McGovern's insightful young adult debut is a heartfelt and heartbreaking story about how we can all feel lost until we find someone who loves us because of our faults, not in spite of them.

Born with cerebral palsy, Amy can't walk without a walker, talk without a voice box, or even fully control her facial expressions. Plagued by obsessive-compulsive disorder, Matthew is consumed with repeated thoughts, neurotic rituals, and crippling fear. Both in desperate need of someone to help them reach out to the world, Amy and Matthew are more alike than either ever realized.

When Amy decides to hire student aides to help her in her senior year at Coral Hills High School, these two teens are thrust into each other's lives. As they begin to spend time with each other, what started as a blossoming friendship eventually grows into something neither expected.

My Rating

My Thoughts
This book was absolutely amazing. I loved everything about it.  When I read the description on Goodreads, I thought "The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor & Park" I immediately have some high expectations because those are two of my favorite books.  It lived up to my expectation.  I mean I am one of those people who is religiously asleep by 11 pm, and I stayed up until 2 am to finish it.  I have been on this huge contemporary kick lately, and I've noticed that it is quite hard for me to feel surprised with contemporaries.  However this book had some major twist and turns that I didn't see coming.  So that impressed me.  I also found the characters to be a very realistic portrayal of kids with disabilities.  Although I don't know what it is like to have cerebral palsy, I have seen what it is like or someone to have OCD, and I could understand exactly how Matthew was feeling. I also feel like there were a lot of very realistic problem that a high school student would have.  This was just such a unique book.  I felt like I had never read anything quite like it, and if you are thinking about picking it up I would definitely suggest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment